mardi 29 mai 2007

Lauryn Hill /Petition Board Crew


I have mixed feelings about Lauryn. I know that she is a true believer of the one faith, and that she is far beyond being a complicated and complex diva. She is also isolated due to her decision to raise her family and the industry's shunning of her, but it is all this drama that unearths a certain level of truth that I honor in her music. She is the crying African goddess who weeps over her dominion. Lauryn is also our hip-hop Joan of Arc, sanctified through her descent from the flaming bundle of timber that was her pop deification. But being the person of the proclivities that I have (wink, wink), I know that she is biblically proselytizing to me and I admit that I am a bit more than sensitive to such comments. So, I find myself arguing with her at the beginning and end of every track. Hill's song "Lose Myself" is now featured on the Lauryn Hill/Petitions Board Crew. This Myspace page has been formed to be a fresh and popular breath of democratic support for getting Lauryn's musical creations out of hock from her current record contract.



What has always hit me about her solo projects is that her music is so much like the former Terence Trent D'arby, now Sananda Maitreya in certain parts. I guess it is the scratchy voice, the choice in beats and the self-reflective lyrics that force me into that comparison. I think they see love the same way -- in a soulful and hazy vibrato that marches up and down steps with a leisurely reflection. Or, is it their treatment by the record company, their integrity or this issue of loosing ones self in order to come back?

1 commentaire:

Mrs. Facilitate a dit…

Sister Lauryn

I discovered you when you ran the Fugees to victory
Who is this Queen, who is telling my life’s true story?
I was 10 years old, but too old living in a child’s body
Saw too much death in my hood, dead corpses rotting

But Sister Lauryn saved my mentality implanting seeds
Watering with her sweet voice, fertilizing all my needs
Ready or Not, life came too fast and nearly toppled me
I prayed to God to save me from my family and community

Then the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill held me captive
To have a beautiful voice like yours, anything I’d give
All my hurt and pain diminished when I listened to you
I found a way out of mental slavery, you unstuck my glue

Now they talk about you and dog you out like the pound
Never realizing all the Greatness and God in you I found
Your Unplugged album was Allah (swt) speaking through
Your lyrics come from the Higher Source never Voodoo

Out of this captivity I long to be set free in this lifetime
Away from all the sterotypes from all the evil crime
All of the systems designed to treat us like animals
Labeling us and treating positive folks like criminals

See I understand you Sister Lauryn like I know myself
A reflection of you, I am, I accept the hand God’s dealt
We may not seem normal and they might call us insane
But all along they are the ones insane in the membrane

Never understanding that our true purpose is not vanity
Never understanding that love and unity is the only key
Never understanding that the system is designed for us to fail
Never understanding that we are conditioned to go to jail

Sister Lauryn, I commend you for standing your ground
You are the diamond in the ruff that my soul has found
Because of your music my life changed from inside out
You showed me what my true purpose in life is all about

You are a beautiful mother to all of your 5 little precious souls
They depend on you to be strong, your love won’t grow old
Allah (swt) needs you to keep up the fight for all of humanity
Cheers to you Lauryn Girl for exposing the truth about this insanity
3/22/2009 9:02:05 PM