mercredi 6 juin 2007

Sex in Brooklyn


I am rocking this one right now.

I found it thanks to Joe's Kitchensofa.

I went to Hampton University, and fellow alumnus The Fuzz Band seems to be a compilation of all things vanglorious about Virginia Beach in the 1990's in my mind, with their neo-soul upgrade provided not by electronic remixing, but just some good down to earth guitar picking. A kind of revival of sophisti-pop, the track "Sex in Brooklyn" is a sort of American soul reduction -- a clarified amorous bouillon in the the spirit of Miles Davis. The trumpet player's phrasing is seductive, with delightful pauses that are unanticipated only by milliseconds. The result is that you are carried off with each note as if you are sipping a smooth brown and sugary spirit on the rocks.

I don't know much about the band, but their myspace page gives the impression that they are a bunch of travelling soul millennial troubadours with a repertoire that includes R&B, funk, house and brass inspired jazz dance jams. I still want to witness them in action. There is something very "my generation" about them that warrants a chance to become a true believer. Check out "Brooklyn Sex" and everything after.

Aucun commentaire: